For the dosa batter
- 1 cup whole skinned urad dal
- 3 cups idli rice
- Salt as needed
To make dosas
- 4 cups of fermented dosa batter
- 1-1.5 cups of water
- 4 tbsp of gingili oil (indian sesame oil like idhayam)
To prepare dosa batter
- Soak the rice and dal separately for 3 hours.
- Grind dal first into a smooth consistency adding enough water.
- Grind rice into a smooth batter by adding just enough water to get it going.
- Combine the two, add salt, and let it ferment in a large enough bowl lightly covered, for about 6-8 hours in a warm place.
To prepare the dosas
- Add enough water to the fermented batter until you have a smooth, pouring consistency. Make sure the batter is not too watery though, it should be thickish.
- Heat a tawa or iron griddle and grease with the oil lightly. Pour about 1/2 cup batter to the centre of the tawa.
- Using the back of your ladle, gently spread the batter with a circular motion from the centre towards the sides of the tawa (iron griddle)
- The dosa should be more or less evenly thick.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp of oil around the edges of the dosa and add a few sprinkles on the top as well.
- Use a spatula to gently lift the dosaand flips it over. Cook the other side for another 40 seconds or so and remove from pan.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
Recipe by: http://www.cookingandme.com/2013/11/19/plain-dosa-recipe-how-to-make-dosa/